Thursday, October 2, 2008

Teaching day

BGillespie's Blog: "Thinking back upon the teach day we had... This was the most enjoyable class so far! It was great to see what people came up with and some of them were quite creative. This exercise is a perfect example of how the class should be operating. The act of peer-to-peer teaching works very well. If anything more beneficial than the student to teacher relationship sometimes.

Specifically the EZ-Waste concept and how to mask fake emails struck me the most. The ordinary citizen does not take the time to think about how and where all electronic equipment is disposed of. Our first concern is to pass the problem to someone else or simply just throw away what does not work anymore. But where does all that go and what is the decomposition cycle like? I certainly learned a lot from Yanina's talk. Catherine's twitter presentation was very informative and will hopefully play a key role tonight as we try to have a live twitter feed throughout the VP debate. Lastly I am still astonished as to how easily fraudulent emails can be sent over the server. I think twice when I check my email now."

4 comments:

Tesekkür ederim said...

I had the same reaction to teaching on Tuesday. I liked the format alot. I was really interested in the "E-waste" concept was intriguing and I wish someone would make this their final project. The scariest realization was that the concept of 'E-waste' is coming full circle (like Yanina stated in her presentation) and affecting American's, and possibly could affect our daily lives. In addition, the fake email was a scary realization for me as well. I was glad someone introduced this new age manipulation because it absolutely makes me more cautious about what I say, what I write and what I do on the internet.We should do "teaching days" more often.

-Anna-

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

yeah another teaching day would be great, and beneficial. I like how we broke up into groups, but maybe next time we can change the format a bit. I wish I got to hear more of what other kids taught.

-adrienne

CG said...

I agree with Adrienne. It was great to split up into groups because then we could have more time and focus but I really wish I could have heard what more people taught. Because time is clearly an issue we could still do groups but maybe have larger ones or have small ones that change partway through the class.

BG said...

Glad to hear that some folks are in agreement about the teaching day.