Thursday, October 2, 2008

Disappointed

I was disappointed with class today. A few people did a really good job carrying the conversation, but overall, it didn't quite work. I was surprised because I had thought that at the very least the articles on the millennials would have stimulated a lot of interest. Doesn't everyone want to read about themselves?

As a professor, my explanation for this was that people simply hadn't done the reading. After all, it's not like you 'have to.' But then someone from the class gave me another interpretation: most students are not accustomed to reading about themselves as a big demographic category. You've heard about baby boomers and gen-Xers, but this iGeneration is something different and something rather puzzling. I wonder how far that explanation goes?

Because I don't get sustenance from digitally mediated social networks (but rather from digitally mediated professional networks as well as f-2-f personal/familial networks) it's difficult for me to see what new political forms and ideas millennials are introducing. I'm skeptical, but I can be persuaded. To me it looks like entertainment, consumerism, and making fun a priority. And I worry that rather than having radically democratic and participatory implications, the actual political repercussions of networked society are highly authoritarian (my chapter in the Boler book explains why). But I would really like to see the positive dimension. I want you guys to persuade me.

As I was walking home today I tried to work out a frame for understanding millennial politics. I had in mind the concept of "social entrepreneurs" that Smith introduced in his chapter. So I thought that maybe previous generations focused on survival, political power, and then prosperity. These could be associated with large historical movements from feudalism, through the bourgeois revolutions, through the spread of capitalism. Millennials, then, wouldn't have any of these priorities; they can take survival, political power (rights to vote, free speech, run for office), and prosperity (disposal income) for granted (although this should remind us right away that this is a very narrow generational view, inapplicable to most people in the world) for granted. What is the millennial priority? Friends. Sociability. Amassing not power or money but connections with each other people. They care about these people, want to know how their lives are, what they are doing. And so they take power and money for granted.

Is this accurate?

2 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

i agree that it is difficult to look at ourselves as a demographic. it's weird to think my generation has already been deemed a label...the iGeneration. One time I had a teacher ask us what our generation stood for. And no one could answer the question. We all just sat there in complete silence. Because really though, what do we stand for? What is our cause? Think of the 50"s and 60's, it was a time of change. There were protests, rallies and civil movements. There was rock and roll, drugs and free love. And the people most affected by this era of change were similar ages to us. That was their generation...it's what links them together, unites them as the generation of the 60's.
So back to my question. What is our cause? We have the label and we know what that stands for, but what does the generation of the iGeneration (meaning us) stand for?
Could it be that our cause is the fact that we don't have a cause?
If we are the iGeneration then we are linked to each other by the technologies that are part of our everyday lives. We are the generation that consumes technology just as much as it consumes us. Is our greatest feat yet quite possibly the root of our demise?


-adrienne

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I agree. I just posted my reaction to class on our group blog and I did not think it was our best class overall.

I guess I never really have thought about looking at "my generation." As Adrienne said, what does our generation stand for or what are we known for? This has the change to develop an interesting debate.


Sam
I guess my generation is the "IGeneration." When I think about it, I grew up with the internet, cell phones, Ipods, GPS and other fascinating technologies. I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I did not have a cell phone or e-mail. Its interesting to think about what our generation would do without some of the technologies we do. How would corporations and business's do?

All in all, a very interesting topic.