Tuesday, September 30, 2008

BGillespie's Blog: Midterm Assessment

BGillespie's Blog: Midterm Assessment: "I have been thinking lately of the self-assessment and assessing of our fellow students. From my experience so far, you literally get out what you put into this class and it is fair to say a good chunk of my classmates are doing that. At this juncture it would be wise for everyone to make their own mid-term assessment of their progress and that of their classmates. This would make it easier to provide a final assessment."

5 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I think this is a good idea. I think that we should hand in some sort of self assessment as a midterm. That way we know whether our effort (that we think is good enough) is actually good enough, because I am still not sure how hard this course is going to be graded. However, I also think that this should be an option and not mandatory, because others might not feel the same way.

By
Merel van Helden

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tesekkür ederim said...

I agree, it's hard for me. My blog responses and what I say in class are completely different. I am an extremely shy person in class and get anxious when I have to talk - but I try and be responsive and get my opinion out when I write blog posts and comment on other's posts as well. Maybe this midterm assessment is a way for me to do this as well?

-Anna

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I dont think that is a bad idea, but I feel like it should be optional.

I like the fact that you BG talked about his thougths so far since we are nearing the mid point of the semester. I think I may make some comments on my blog when I get a chance.

In regards to Anna's comment. I think a lot of kids are in the same boat about being shy and not very talkative in class. I know I tend to sometimes shy away from conversations at poitns because I don't wnat to say something dumb. Like you said, having the access to respond on blogs is great. it allows those studnets who do not feel comfortable in class to particpate in their blog. I think that sets up a great balance.

Sam

Tesekkür ederim said...

exactly, I like that approach too, I was thinking about this as well though-I don't want people to give me a "bad assessment" because they only look at the first few blog posts and see a few names so they assume that others aren't doing any work... does that make sense? For instance, I had a family emergency this past week and wasn't able to blog and I don't want people to assume I'm just not doing the work because I don't feel like it.

-Anna-