Monday, September 8, 2008

Anybody can do it

Is it really this easy?
Political Voice: "Computers and the Internet have become so accessible that it has become interiorized. Anybody in my generation could jump onto a new piece of technology and pick it up without ever picking up a user’s manual."
Then how come a third of the class doesn't have a blog roll?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, actually. I never ever read manuals.
Everything sort of follows similar protocol. Every new cellphone my mother would labor through the manual, while I would simply tinker around and then have it figured out.

In a way, we lost our critical thinking abilities when it comes to technology as well. We all use it, but we have no idea how it's created or how it runs. Thus, if it breaks down, our knowledge (or lack thereof) is almost useless.

We become as helpless as the kids in Feed.
It's almost sad how such a "technology-savvy" generation claims to be computer-illiterate or technologically-stupid.
Most of my peers use all sorts of gadgets but they use them timidly, almost as if asking permission.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

blogs are new to a lot of us. i know some already had them, some had heard of them, but most of us were creating our first one for this class. I do believe computers and the internet have become interiozed and i also agree with what inconvience said but i believe that physical technology (the stuff we can actually hold...cell phones, cameras, computers, gps, etc.) is easier for us to figure out without the use of a manual because we have used similar versions of them before. We can rely on our past experience with these technologies to help us familiarize ourselves with newer versions (spin offs) of our older technologies. But with the blogs, most of us lack a previous background of this kind of technology therefore winging it most likely will not be enough.

-adrienne

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I think generally our generation is really good at figuring things out. I think some people are more into figuring out blogs and things because they apply to them. I never would have even considered using a blog or writing one if I had not had to use it for the class. Rebecca Blood said that it was an "outbreak of self expression." I think some people just choose to self express other ways. Blogging works for some people and those that were technologically savy when the blogs first came out made their own because they knew about the technology. It was not as easy as it is now but they thought it would be beneficial for themselves and eventually others.

I don't think it really matters for us to know exactly how things technically work because we are resourceful enough to fix our problems other ways. If my phone breaks and I can't fix it, I know I can go to the Verizon store and someone else can fix it for me. We have all found different ways of doing things that it is ok to not know how things technically work.

-Beck