skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Internet Traffic Begins to Bypass the U.S. - NYTimes.com
Internet Traffic Begins to Bypass the U.S. - NYTimes.com: "Internet industry executives and government officials have acknowledged that Internet traffic passing through the switching equipment of companies based in the United States has proved a distinct advantage for American intelligence agencies. In December 2005, The New York Times reported that the National Security Agency had established a program with the cooperation of American telecommunications firms that included the interception of foreign Internet communications.
Some Internet technologists and privacy advocates say those actions and other government policies may be hastening the shift in Canadian and European traffic away from the United States.
“Since passage of the Patriot Act, many companies based outside of the United States have been reluctant to store client information in the U.S.,” said Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington. “There is an ongoing concern that U.S. intelligence agencies will gather this information without legal process. There is particular sensitivity about access to financial information as well as communications and Internet traffic that goes through U.S. switches.”"
(this is excerpted from a larger article)
5 comments:
This is a scary fact, if companies can legally collect your data, can you imagine the reach of a government without any legal repercussions. I can't even begin to imagine the long arm of the American government. Do you think they have even starting to watch Instant Messaging?
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Search/surveillance.html
sort of relevant to this...
today i got a new cell phone. In order for me to actually use it, I am required to go through a setup wizard on it. One of the last sections was titled "Application Permissions" where i have the option to "set the default access control settings for third party applications"... The options I could select where:
-Restrictive Access
-default access (what the phone was set to)
-permissive access
-custom access
If i opted to do restrictive access (and not default) I would have to configure some stuff, and restart my phone...pretty much inconvenience myself.
From taking this class, this type of stuff now stands out in my mind. It doesn't surprise me that the default setting is one that automatically allows third party applications access without my consent. And they make it a pain to set your settings to restrictive.
-Adrienne
I can't really blame these companies for looking out side the United States for storing their data. I wouldn't want to Unites States Government having open access to all my information, even if it is completely innocent in nature. I don't remember the world coming to any decision to allow the United States to police the worlds internet, so why do they feel so entitled?
Asa
Post a Comment