Thursday, September 18, 2008

An experiment

Blogging for cookies.: "My dear classmates. I have an experiment I want to run. If you have 'nothing to hide' you should have no problem accepting what I propose. Let me into your rooms whenever I want. Give me a spare key as I want to come in any time I want. I could go through your stuff on the hour or ignore you for three weeks then check up on you. I will come any time, any day, whether you are there or not to find out what I may be looking it. You may not communicate with me, and I will not communicate with you. I will pick up your stuff (but not break it) but will not move it to another location or take it away from you. I will go through your computer, your papers, and drawers. I will go through what I want and take notes. If there are other people with you I will take notes on them too. You may never break out of this arrangement during the time phase allowed to happen. You may never see what notes I take down. The experiment stops between us with whomever graduates/leaves college first. I may share my notes with other observers but never you. I may leave you gifts that I believe may suit your interests. If you have nothing to hide, then what bad things about you will I find?"

11 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I posted a comment on our blog.
Merel

Suits said...

I think you are missing the point of the people that are saying they have nothing to hide. As I mentioned in class today, by monitoring the internet, companies and the government are not coming into your house and looking through your diary they are patrolling the public domain that is the internet. By you posting something on the internet, you are surrendering that picture or blog to the public's eyes. If someone were to go into your room and rifle through all your things without your permission, that would be a clear violation of your privacy on top of being completely illegal.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I think you are missing the point as well.

If you were to come into my room and look through my things and do some of the things you propose, than that would be invading my privacy. I mean you could come to my room and look around, I don't mind, but that is not my point. You cannot just go through a person's things at unexpected times without telling anyone, etc. That is sketchy and I think not the point of what we are arguing in in class.

The issue that the class has been arguing comes when companies and the government monitor what someone does online. I think what you propose and that argument are completely different. When you post something on the internet, you must know that anyone can see that information at one time or another.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

That was posted by Sam

Tesekkür ederim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tesekkür ederim said...

To agree with the other posts, I don't think going through all of our personal things in our rooms and and keeping the notes you take secret really does anything besides being slightly sketchy and very illegal. The government and companies are not reading our diaries as "suits" said. There doesn't seem to be a legal aspect to what we do online unlike the physical world. I liked the idea that someone proposed about an annual fee for facebook or other online social network, therefore you would own the rights to your information.

-Anna-

J said...

There are legal aspects to what we do online.

The internet consists in a variety of different kinds of networked/interconnected servers. They are not all in the public domain.

It's important that people understand what digital enclosure means: it means turning interactions and content into private property.

Also, there are many parts of 'the internet' that are closed off; there are multiple intranets, private databases, etc.

Visible is not the same thing as a public.

JColburn1 said...

i see the point of your experiment. I think it is a creative way of showing that strangers going through your stuff is invasive, but totally different than the issues created in the class room.

This is such an extreme example to use, and your personal space physically is much different than virtually. For example your blog is much more visible than your diary, etc. I just think this experiment idea is irrational and irrelevant.

Jen, the Cookie Empress said...

Anyone who said that I missed the point is missing MY point. I will post this on my blog too. This was not meant to be read entirely literally. Start thinking outside the box people.
I know very well that this experiment will not go into place. There is an analogy here.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

"By you posting something on the internet, you are surrendering that picture or blog to the public's eyes."

i think 'Suits' says it best...According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary of Law, Surrender can be defined as:

" a). to give over to the custody of the law

b). v. intr: to give oneself up


-Adrienne

Tesekkür ederim said...

I think that you are both right. Having read everyone's comments it seems you both are very much stuck on its one or the other while it seems to be both. I don't think we can yet associate the personal realm with the same level of the virtual. But that doesn't mean the information is not just as important in both realms. The virtual world doesn't have to go through your room and stir shit up, its all ready their day and night you just don't see it or sense it. The information given out on the web is outstanding. Some stupid like pictures on facebook, but other information is just important that seems private but is not. So be careful when arguing this stuff, it is essential to have an open mind.
Corey