Thursday, September 18, 2008

Chaos theory

Some folks found class today chaotic. Is this bad? I'm asking as a guideline for future discussions. Is it preferable not to have discussion the whole period, but have some kind of centralizing wrap up? Alternatively, is it ok to have some classes where there are lots of different views out there, but we should aim at some kinds of synthesis? Something else? The feedback from ya'll's blogs is helpful. I can use it--we can use it--to figure out how to proceed.

Related options: I think it makes sense for folks to think and blog about what sort of steps would be helpful for moving the discussion forward. Of course, we are continuing to read the book and that will help. But there are other things as well:

--producing a list of exact issues
--determining different stakeholders
--considering possible solutions

I was thinking that people would benefit from knowing more history of the internet (there are one or two histories in the resource list; my article on electronic reserve, "From Technocracy to Technoculture," considers some of the history of the internet)." This would help because of the way that the terms public and private are used in class does not correspond to the meaning of public and private in US law (or in the Andrejevich book which uses the terms in accordance with their use in law). I posted a link to Harvard's Berkman Center a few hours ago. There you can find information about efforts on the part of companies and government to till with questions of privacy and intrusion.

4 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I definitely do not think that it was bad that class was chaotic. I actually learned a lot today from all of my classmates. I think having that open forum type of class is really helpful and allows everyone to get their voice heard.

I also think it is OK to have some class periods where there are numerous views. However, I think maybe trying to focus on one argument will help. I know that may be hard though because little side quarrels will develop. That is fine. Keeps everyone on their toes.

I enjoyed how class ran today. A bit chaotic but like I said earlier, I learned a lot from everyone. I think it was important to have the teacher, as Prof. Dean did today, begin the class with some thoughts and see how the students can open up the discussion.

I am interested to see what other people think

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

That was from Sam

Suits said...

Im making a post on my blog on this topic.

Mustafa said...

I think that there definitely should be open discussions like these in class as they present all of us with a spectrum of different perspectives from which we can learn and respond to. However, I feel that the frequency of such interactions should be controlled by the you (the professor, so it does not become too abstract and we remain on track, on way or the other.