Thursday, September 25, 2008

HWS email policy

Here is a response I got to an inquiry regarding email. Apparently the policy is being reviewed and revised. I wonder if the views of students are being considered. It would also be interesting to know if students on other campuses have organized themselves to influence campus policies that involve their information.
Thanks for your note to the Help Desk and the questions on email. Everyone's email to and from their HWS account is stored on centralized servers where everything is secured and backed up on a routine basis. While there should be no expectation of privacy in HWS e-mail accounts or in any activity on HWS-owned computers, generally IT Services does not grant access to anyone's email unless it is necessary to do so (for example, if HR or Student Affairs needs access). Employees would typically be informed if their e-mail account is being reviewed unless it would interfere with an investigation or if a subpoena or law enforcement prohibits us from informing the involved employee.

2 comments:

BG said...

Interesting response... Seems rather vague and could use some revision.

J said...

I agree. I asked a series of follow up questions but have not gotten an answer. I'd like to know how long they keep the email and whether they view it for internal investigations. And that's just for starters.