A guy learning to do stuff with a book
Do you feel that the technologies you use configure you or make you who you are? Why are why not? Don't forget that books, pencils, and words are technologies that we often take for granted. Be sure as well to consider writing and the differences between writing and hearing (literate and oral cultures). How are digitally mediated interactions like a new kind of orality (secondary orality)?
Post your answer on your blog. The best answers will draw from readings handed out in class, Digital McLuhan (chs. 1-4), and resources from the sidebar (particularly those related to Ong).
Answers should be posted by Monday at 5:00. Be sure to read, comment, and link to each other's blogs. I will be interested in seeing which posts generate the most comments.
Do you feel that the technologies you use configure you or make you who you are? Why are why not? Don't forget that books, pencils, and words are technologies that we often take for granted. Be sure as well to consider writing and the differences between writing and hearing (literate and oral cultures). How are digitally mediated interactions like a new kind of orality (secondary orality)?
Post your answer on your blog. The best answers will draw from readings handed out in class, Digital McLuhan (chs. 1-4), and resources from the sidebar (particularly those related to Ong).
Answers should be posted by Monday at 5:00. Be sure to read, comment, and link to each other's blogs. I will be interested in seeing which posts generate the most comments.

10 comments:
I don't think your link is working. It directs me to webmail.
thanks! I'll fix it!
should be ok now
Hey. Why are our assignments due a day before class?
Assignments are due a day before class so that folks have time to post them on their blogs and read and comment on each other's posts. Remember, I will evaluate you and you will evaluate each other on the basis of your contribution to discussion on the blogs as well as in class. I am interested in seeing which posts generate the most discussion (which are most helpful to other students; which stimulate the most debate).
Here is our group blog link for assignment two:
http://jodisfavoritegroup.blogspot.com/
They are going to be the same times each week right? Wednesday 8 pm for Thursdays and Monday 5pm for Tuesdays.
Becky--when there are assignments, those will be the times. I've also wondered about sometimes just having a reading plan and seeing if folks blogged about the reading on their own, without a direct assignment. But, for the purposes of planning, yes, those will be the deadline times.
Ok great thanks.
Here is my asignment, Cordell
http://moondoogy.blogspot.com/2008/09/technologies-help-or-hinder-who-you-are.html
Post a Comment